Choosing the Right Lighting for Your Home
Whether you’re building a home, remodeling or are just in need of an update, lighting plays a major role in any room. Getting it right can be tricky, though. In this month’s blog we talk about things to consider when choosing lighting for your home.
- Lighting sets the mood for any room. Most of the time you want a room to be well lit, like a kitchen or bathroom. Other times, mood lighting is in order – think home theatre. Consult with a lighting expert on recommendations, specifically for your space.
- Size matters. The size of room you are lighting may require certain considerations. This will be true for chandeliers and recessed lighting. It may be worth it to add one more can light to a space to get the right balance and feel.
- Consider any limitations ahead of time. If you are in an older home, it may be important first to look at the electrical box currently in place before you make your lighting plans. Is the box at its threshold already? If so, you may need to upgrade your box before your upgrade other lighting around your home.
- Consider lumens vs. watts. Though it can be more expensive to upgrade your lighting, in the long run you will save money and energy by upgrading to more efficient solutions for your home.
- Is your lighting upgrade a DIY project or is it time to bring in a professional? Lighting can be tricky, especially when you’re making upgrades. Installing a ceiling fan is different then installing canned lighting throughout your ceiling. It’s important to know when to hire a professional for the best and safest project results.