Electrical Panels

Your home’s electrical panel consists of a series of circuit breakers and fuses that allow you to control your home’s electrical components. That panel divides all the electrical power into different circuits, each protected by their own circuit breaker. Circuit breakers can be sensitive to various factors. Here are four signs it is time to upgrade your home’s electrical panel.

1.Faulty wiring 

The risk of a fire caused by inadequate or outdated wiring increases based on your homes’ age. Older wiring may not meet today’s codes, and wire insulation and other materials deteriorate over time. Have your electrical panel inspected by a licensed professional to check the wiring. Warning signs of faulty wiring include:

  • Flickering or dimming lights
  • A slight shock when touching household appliances
  • A lingering burning scent
  • Sparking or discolored power outlets
  1. Installation of new appliances

Your panel may not have enough power to keep up with the added energy needs if you are upgrading kitchen appliances or another machine that consumes large amounts of energy. If your panel amperage is too low, your circuit breakers will trip any time you turn on the electrical device. So, it’s a good idea to upgrade to a higher amperage.¬†

  1. Upgrading your home from fuses

Fuses and circuit breakers perform a similar function: they prevent short circuit or overload by disrupting electrical currents. Fuses are one-time use because when they detect current is running at too high a level, the fuse melts to interrupt the flow of electricity. Fuses are outdated; they were designed for when homes’ electrical needs were much lower. Fuses pose a fire hazard for homeowners, and some insurance companies will refuse to insure homes that still use fuses.

  1. Planning for future needs

If you’re remodelling or upgrading your home, it’s the perfect time to invest in quality wiring. Not only does structured wiring enable the latest features in your electrical devices, but it also increases the value of your home!